Dental Exams and Cleanings: Keeping Smiles Healthy
Healthy smiles require more than brushing and flossing alone. Dental exams and cleanings are just as important to maintaining oral health. However, if you already suffer from dental damage, you may benefit from restorative dentistry treatments. Restorative treatments can improve the appearance and function of your teeth so you can eat and smile with confidence. Read on to learn more about the importance of dental exams and cleanings from Staten Island dentists Alex and Jason Hecht.
The Impact of Dental Exams and Cleanings on Oral Health
Maintaining a healthy smile requires more than just practicing proper daily oral hygiene habits. Although it's important to practice good dental care at home, including brushing twice a day and flossing at least once a day, professional cleanings are vital for removing plaque and tartar build-up in hard to reach areas and regular dental exams can catch dental damage at the earliest signs. Regular dental exams and cleanings should be attended about every six months. Here are just a few ways dental exams and cleanings can help keep your smile healthy:
- Prevent harmful plaque and tartar build-up: Despite regular brushing and flossing, plaque and tartar can still build up along the gum line, potentially leading to gum disease and tooth decay. Hard to clean areas, like the back teeth and gum line, are most prone to plaque and tartar buildup. Professional cleanings are the most effective way removing plaque and tartar in these trouble areas.
- Reduce the risk of gum disease: Gum disease is an infection of the gums caused by bacteria, plaque, and tartar build-up at the gum line. Professional cleanings keep the teeth free of plaque and tartar, reducing the risk of gum disease. In addition, during dental exams, our dentists can identify gum disease in its earliest stages so it can be treated before it leads to severe damage.
- Reduce the risk of tooth decay: Both dental exams and cleanings help reduce the risk of tooth decay. Dental exams are useful for detecting decay in its earliest stages, while cleanings prevent decay to begin with.
- Catch dental problems early: Dental exams allow for the early detection of dental issues. Dental exams can catch signs of decay, disease, and in some cases, oral cancer.
- Reduce dental costs over time: Regular dental exams and cleanings can lead to lower dental costs over time because damage is found early, preventing the need for expensive treatments.
- Maintain a healthy smile for life: Regular dental exams and cleanings help protect oral health, prolonging the life of your natural teeth and dental restorations.
Schedule Your Next Dental Exam and Cleaning
A healthy smile is a pain-free smile. If you experience dental pain or sensitivity, you may be suffering from dental damage. But it's never too late to get your oral health back on track. Don't wait any longer for your next dental exam and cleaning. Schedule your next dental exam and cleaning with Drs. Hecht and Hecht today.