How Can Porcelain Crowns Benefit You?
Whether chipped, broken, or weakened by large fillings, damaged teeth can impact your daily life, causing pain and difficulty eating and speaking. Fortunately, dental crowns can help. Dental crowns are tooth-shaped restorations that improve the appearance and strength of damaged teeth and address aesthetic issues. Porcelain dental crowns offer many benefits to those who require dental restorations or wish to improve the appearance of the smile. To learn more about porcelain crown benefits, schedule a consultation with Staten Island, NY dentists Alex and Jason Hecht.
What Are Porcelain Crowns?
Porcelain crowns are a type of dental restoration used to completely cover a damaged or otherwise flawed tooth. Each porcelain crown is custom-made from impressions taken of the tooth, which helps ensure a precise fit and natural look.
What Dental Issues Can Porcelain Crowns Treat?
Porcelain crowns can treat a wide variety of dental issues, making them a great option for many patients who suffer from dental damage or flaws. Dental crowns may be used to treat:
- Teeth weakened by large fillings: Large fillings can leave the teeth weak and vulnerable to fractures. Porcelain crowns can help restore dental strength and mask large fillings, preventing breakage and restoring dental appearance.
- Broken or fractured teeth: Broken or fractured teeth can make eating difficult, and they leave the teeth more vulnerable to tooth decay if left untreated. Porcelain crowns may be placed to restore dental function and appearance while also saving damaged teeth from requiring extraction.
- Chipped teeth: Chipped teeth can also lead to tooth decay if left untreated. Dental crowns may be used to treat chipped teeth and prevent further damage.
- Aesthetic issues: Aesthetic issues, like misshaped teeth and tooth discoloration, can be addressed with porcelain crowns. Dental crowns can be made to any shape, size, and color to mask dental flaws and enhance the smile's appearance.
- Dental implant restoration: Porcelain crowns may be paired with dental implants to restore individual missing teeth.
The Benefits of Porcelain Crowns
There are countless benefits to porcelain crown treatment. Not only can porcelain crowns be used to repair dental damage, they may be used to address aesthetic issues, making them suitable for many patients. Some of the many benefits include:
- Natural looking: Porcelain closely mimics the appearance and luster of the natural teeth and can be colored to match the surrounding teeth, making porcelain crowns a great option for restoring the smile.
- Prevent the need for tooth extraction: Dental damage, like fractures and large fillings, can put the teeth at risk of further damage and the possibility of extraction. Dental crowns can help prevent the need for tooth extraction by protecting the teeth from further damage.
- Restored dental function: Broken, fractured, or chipped teeth can make it painful to eat. Porcelain crowns can be used to restore dental function to damaged teeth, reducing pain while eating and improving quality of life.
- Restored dental strength: Teeth with large fillings are more vulnerable to breaking due to a loss of tooth structure. Treatment with porcelain crowns can benefit those with large fillings by restoring dental strength and preventing breakage.
- Improved oral health: Untreated dental damage can lead to severe oral health issues, like tooth decay and tooth loss. Treatment with porcelain crowns can help restore oral health and prevent further damage.
- Improved aesthetics and confidence: Damaged teeth and cosmetic imperfections can cause many to feel self conscious about the appearance of the smile. Porcelain crowns can mask dental flaws and repair dental damage, allowing patients to feel confident and proud of their smiles.
Which Treatments Are Right for You?
To find out if porcelain crowns are right for you, or to discuss other treatment options, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Drs. Hecht and Hecht.