Foods and Drinks to Avoid with Veneers
If you are looking to enhance your smile and address aesthetic concerns such as chips, hairline fractures, discoloration, and more, porcelain veneers could be a solution for you. Porcelain veneers are incredibly durable and stain-resistant.
However, they can still become damaged over time. Therefore, it is important to properly care for your veneers so they can deliver a long-lasting, beautiful smile.
Here, our team explores foods and drinks to avoid with veneers so you can enjoy the results for many years to come. To learn more, contact our Staten Island, NY dental practice.
About Porcelain Veneers: A Brief Overview
Porcelain veneers are ultra-thin, durable shells that adhere to the front surfaces of the teeth. Designed to complement your natural dental anatomy, veneers can be color-matched to your surrounding teeth for a lifelike appearance.
In most cases, veneers can be placed in just two office visits. During the first appointment, the teeth are prepared and impressions are taken. While our dental lab fabricates your final veneers, temporary veneers will be placed to protect your teeth in the meantime.
Once your custom veneers have been created, we will remove the temporary veneers and replace them with your permanent restorations.
Foods and Drinks to Avoid with Temporary Veneers
Unlike permanent veneers, temporary veneers are bonded into place with temporary cement. As a result, they can become dislodged or fall off if proper precautions are not taken.
Therefore, we recommend steering clear of these foods:
- Hard foods such as ice, hard candy, and raw fruits and vegetables
- Breads with hard crusts
- Sticky foods such as taffy and caramels
- Potato chips, pretzels, nuts, and other crunchy foods
- Dark-colored foods and beverages that can stain teeth, such as berries, soy sauce, colas, tea, coffee, red wine, and tomato sauce
Foods and Drinks to Avoid with Custom Permanent Veneers
Once you have received your final veneers, you will have less restrictions. However, it is still important to exercise caution. Patients with porcelain veneers should avoid:
- Biting into hard foods: You should never bite close to the bone when eating meat such as chicken legs or pork chops. In addition, avoid biting into hard candies. These habits can cause your veneers to chip or fracture.
- Chewing on ice: Although it can be tempting, it is important to avoid chewing on ice, as this can damage your veneers or cause them to become dislodged.
Other Ways to Preserve Your Smile
Many patients develop the habit of using their teeth as tools. You should never use your teeth to remove tags from clothing, open packages, or groom your fingernails.
These rules should be followed by everyone, but especially those who have invested in custom veneers. By eliminating these behaviors, you can help prevent breakage and damage and preserve your beautiful new smile.
Contact Our Practice to Learn More
If you would like to learn more about porcelain veneers or how to care for them once they are placed, schedule a consultation at our practice. You can call our office at (718) 705-4434 or contact us online anytime.