According to findings from WebMD, between 9 percent and 20 percent of Americans avoid going to the dentist because they experience fear. This anxiousness of dental visits could be rooted in bad experiences as a child, painful dental work in the past, or a general sense of unease when they are at the dentist’s office. Drs. Alex and Jason Hecht strive to make their Staten Island, NY dental practice as welcoming as possible, which is why they offer sedation dentistry.
Below, we want to consider the negative effects of dental anxiety on your health, and how sedation dentistry can help. If you’ve been worried about seeing the dentist, we can help you worry no more.
How Dental Anxiety Affect Dental Health
If you avoid going to the dentist for years, it can take a major toll on your teeth and gums. You could have cavities that require filling. If allowed to progress without treatment, you increase your risk of root canal infection and tooth loss. You could also have gum disease, which can also lead to tooth loss and more serious problems.
The bottom line is that you should see your dentist twice a year for regular cleanings checkups, and to ensure early detection and treatment of various oral health issues.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry refers to various methods of helping patients achieve a relaxed state. This helps ease sensations of fear and anxiety. Patients can get the dental treatment they need without worry or feeling dread while in the dentist chair, and dentists can safely perform cleanings and more advanced procedures.
Picking the Ideal Sedation Method for the Patient
At Staten Island Aesthetic & Implant Dentist, we offer the following sedation methods:
- Nitrous Oxide - Inhaling nitrous oxide (also known as laughing gas) can help patients feel calm and achieve a sensation of numbness around the lips and mouth. This helps patients feel relaxed.
- Oral Conscious Sedation - Oral conscious sedation involves patients taking a prescription sedative before they come to the practice. The sedative will have kicked in by the time the patient arrives at the practice, which means they are ready to undergo the dental procedure they need.
The above can be combined with local anesthetic for pain-free and anxiety-free dentistry.
The Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Some of the key benefits of sedation dentistry include:
- Easy to administer
- Effective at reducing anxiety
- Ideal for helping a patient achieve comfort
- Allows patients to get the dental treatments they need for a healthy smile
Good Candidates for Sedation Dentistry
If this all sounds appealing, here is a list of people who are good candidates for sedation dentistry:
- People suffering from dental anxiety or phobia
- People who have a difficult time keeping still
- People who suffer from physical conditions that make sitting still difficult
- People with a poor gag reflex
- People who require extensive dental work
Learn More About Sedation Dentistry
If you would like to learn more about sedation dentistry and why it may be the right option for you and your needs, be sure to contact our skilled team of cosmetic and restorative dentists. You can reach Staten Island Aesthetic & Implant Dentist by phone at (718) 521-2571. We’re here to help.