Cosmetic Dentistry FAQs
Cosmetic dentistry helps improve chipped, cracked, discolored, or unevenly spaced teeth. Patients opt for cosmetic dentistry procedures to improve looks, boost self-esteem, and also for health reasons. Which cosmetic dentistry procedure is best for a specific condition? How long does the treatment last? Is it affordable? These are just a few frequently asked questions about cosmetic dentistry.
At Staten Island Implant Dentist in Staten Island, NY, Drs. Alex and Jason Hecht have had one goal for over 20 years: to improve the oral health and quality of life for each patient. We believe in patient education as much as we do the use of advanced techniques and compassionate care. With that, below are some commonly asked questions about cosmetic dentistry.
When Should a Patient See a Cosmetic Dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is a dentist trained and experienced in enhancing the appearance of smiles. Patients who feel insecure because of crooked, cracked, chipped, gapped, or stained teeth should consider seeing a cosmetic dentist.
Is Cosmetic Dental Care Expensive?
The cost of cosmetic procedures depends on how much work needs to be done and the technologies and materials used by the dentist. Some patients only require one treatment to reach their cosmetic goals, while others need a smile makeover which involves several procedures.
During an initial consultation, a dentist will fully examine the patient to determine the best course of action. Together with the patient, they will decide on a treatment plan.
Is Cosmetic Dentistry Covered by Insurance?
In most cases, no. Unless the procedure is performed for orthodontic needs, cosmetic dentistry treatments are typically classified as elective procedures and are not eligible for insurance coverage.
Keep in mind that most dentists accept cash, check, and credit cards. Additionally, many patients interested in treatment but who cannot afford the upfront cost should ask about flexible financing options, which many dentists offer.
How Long Does Cosmetic Treatment Take?
Just as every patient case is unique, the duration of the treatment for each one of those patients is also unique. Some smile makeovers can take months to complete. Other less involved treatments, such as teeth whitening, can be completed in just one office visit.
When you come to our practice in Staten Island, we can provide an estimated treatment timeline for your procedure.
What Are Some Common Cosmetic Treatment Procedures?
- Teeth whitening. Whitening solution is applied to the teeth, and often activated using laser light. There are also bleaching kits that can be provided by our office and used at home.
- Veneers. Veneers are shells made from ceramic materials that are applied to the front of teeth. Veneers are used to hide cracks, chips, severe stains, and other aesthetic imperfections of the teeth.
- Dental bonding. Dental bonding utilizes tooth-colored composite resin to correct minor chips, cracks, and other small cosmetic issues.
- Invisalign®. Invisalign uses custom clear dental trays to slowly shift teeth into the correct position. Adults who are looking for an alternative to braces often choose Invisalign because the aligners are much more discreet than brackets and wires.
- Braces. Braces are a system of brackets bonded to teeth connected by wires and bands. Braces are designed to slowly pull crooked teeth into alignment over time.
Have a Question We Didn’t Answer?
If so, we encourage you to get in touch with us. Come see why Dr. Alex Hecht and the team at Staten Island Implant Dentist have been making patients happy for more than 30 years. Call (718) 705-4434 or conveniently book an appointment online today.