What Is Sedation Dentistry?
At Staten Island Aesthetic & Implant Dentist, our dental team does its best to make patients feel safe, secure, and comfortable when undergoing dental care. Despite the steps that are taken by our staff, some people experience anxiety about going to the dentist, and may even avoid necessary dental care as a result.
At our dental practice, we are happy to offer sedation dentistry to ease dental anxiety and enhance patient comfort. Here, we provide an overview of how sedation dentistry works, which of our Staten Island, NY, patients may be candidates for this technique, and the numerous benefits it provides.
How Does Sedation Dentistry Work?
Sedation dentistry uses methods of sedation to help patients feel calm and relaxed for a dental appointment. At our dental practice, we offer conscious sedation techniques, which means that patients achieve a state of relaxation (and may not even remember their dental appointment), but still remain alert and cooperative throughout treatment. Sedation dentistry has proven to be safe and effective, but patients are closely monitored throughout care to further ensure that no complications arise.
Sedation Dentistry Candidates
Sedation dentistry may be a good option for patients who experience fear or heightened anxiety about dental care. In addition, sedation dentistry may be recommended for those of our Staten Island patients who are especially sensitive to pain, have severe gag reflex, or have a hard time staying still for a dental procedure.
To protect our patient’s safety, they must meet certain medical criteria to be considered sedation dentistry candidates. Patients must be in good overall health and should be free of any conditions that could increase the risk of complications. Sedation dentistry should not be administered to patients who are pregnant or those who have had any negative reactions to sedatives or anesthetics in the past.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
At our dental practice, we offer two types of sedation dentistry: oral sedation and nitrous oxide. As mentioned, both of these are forms of conscious sedation, which means that the patient remains alert while under sedation and can respond to basic care instructions.
- Oral sedation: Oral sedation is administered in the form of an oral medication. Patients are prescribed medication prior to their dental appointment and are instructed to take the medication shortly before arriving for their procedure. The dosage that is prescribed will vary based on the patient’s weight and the type of procedure they are undergoing (i.e. how long dental care will last).
- Nitrous oxide: Nitrous oxide, which is commonly referred to as laughing gas, is administered at our dental practice. Patients breathe in nitrous oxide through a device that is placed over the nose. Nitrous oxide is administered as needed throughout the dental procedure to ensure that patients remain relaxed for the duration of their treatment.
Sedation Dentistry Benefits
Sedation dentistry offers a number of benefits to our patients. Most notably, sedation dentistry:
- Eases dental anxiety
- Enhances patient comfort throughout dental care
- Allows patients to relax and remain still for dental treatment
- Enables patients to comfortably undergo dental treatments that are vital to good oral health
Get In Touch
If you have neglected important dental care because the thought of going to the dentist makes you feel stressed or anxious, you may be an ideal candidate for sedation dentistry. To learn more about the sedation dentistry techniques offered at Staten Island Aesthetic & Implant Dentist, send us a message online or call (718) 705-4434 at your earliest convenience.