At Staten Island Aesthetic & Implant Dentist, we understand that going to the dentist can cause anxiety in some patients. We are committed to providing our patients with a pleasant, relaxing, and friendly atmosphere. Fear and anxiety no longer have to prevent you from receiving the dental care you desperately need. Through conscious sedation, you will have little to no memory of your dental visit.
Unfortunately, tooth loss is a common problem among our patients. Injury, gum disease, and tooth decay are the main causes of tooth loss. If you are suffering from missing teeth, loose teeth, difficulty when eating, or are simply unhappy with the appearance of your smile, please schedule a consultation today. Staten Island cosmetic dentists Alex Hecht and Jason Hecht can help you reverse years of dental deterioration and achieve the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve.
For our patients in Staten Island, dental implants provide strength, stability, and versatility that cannot be matched by any other dental treatment. Dental implants are titanium posts used to replace the root structures of missing teeth. Dental implants are ideal for patients who have one or more missing teeth and are in good oral health. Because dental implants are implanted into the jawbone, they do not rely on neighboring teeth for support. Once the jawbone has grown around the implant, usually four to six months after placement, a bridge, crown, or denture is attached.
Advantages of Dental Implants
There are many advantages of dental implants, including:
- Durability: Dental implants are incredibly durable. With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Appearance: Dental implants look and feel like your natural teeth.
- Comfort: Removable dentures can be quite painful for the wearer. Dental implants completely eliminate the discomfort associated with removable dentures. Implant-supported dentures do not require adhesives to keep them in place.
- Eating: It is extremely common for dentures to become loose when eating. This makes eating difficult and is often quite painful. Implant-supported dentures prevent dentures from slipping.
- Speaking: Loose or ill-fitting dentures can affect the way you speak. Implant-supported dentures eliminate this slipping, allowing your words to come out clearly.
Dental Implant Risks
As with any surgery, there are risks associated with dental implants. Though rare, dental implant risks include:
- Failed integration: Failed integration is when the dental implant does not fuse correctly with the jawbone.
- Infection: Infection of the gums and surrounding tissues at the implant site is possible, but can be prevented by practicing good oral hygiene and diligently following post-operative directions.
- Nerve and tissue damage: While incredibly rare, nerve and tissue damage may result from the placement of dental implants. Damage to the nerves or blood vessels can cause pain, swelling, and numbness, and may even result in tingling in the teeth, gums, chin, or lips.
- Sinus issues: When dental implants are placed in the back of the upper jaw, sinus cavities may be affected. If this should occur, sinus augmentation surgery may be recommended.
Contact Staten Island Aesthetic & Implant Dentist Today
To learn more about dental implant risks, please contact Staten Island Aesthetic & Implant Dentist today. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.