Dental Implant Benefits
Once our adult teeth start coming in when we are children, we expect that our days of losing teeth are over. Unfortunately, decay, gum disease, aging, or injury can lead to tooth loss in adults. Having gaps left in your mouth due to missing teeth not only affects the aesthetics of your smile, it can also compromise the structure of your mouth and leave the surrounding teeth in your mouth vulnerable to other dental problems. At Dr. Alex Hecht’s Staten Island cosmetic dentistry practice, we know that dental implants offer benefits that our patients cannot receive from other dental procedures. That is why Dr. Hecht recommends dental implants to fill in the spaces left by missing teeth.
Dental Implant Uses
Dental implants are a treatment option for missing teeth. They mimic tooth roots and serve as anchors for artificial teeth. The most common restorations used with dental implants are dental crowns and dental bridges.
- Dental crowns: Dental crowns are commonly used to protect a damaged tooth. They can also be attached to dental implants when a patient is missing just one tooth, or several teeth from different areas of the mouth. As an artificial tooth, a dental crown is a strong and attractive option.
- Dental bridge: If a patient has lost a group of teeth, we will likely recommend a dental bridge. A dental bridge is made up of two anchor crowns that are placed on dental implants or adjacent natural teeth, and one solid piece in the middle that is made to look like real teeth.
Dental Implant Benefits
For our patients in Staten Island, dental implants are a popular choice for restorative dentistry because they offer a patient many benefits that they cannot get from other dental procedures. The benefits of dental implants include the following:
- The dental implant procedure does not involve any other teeth in the mouth. We will not have to compromise the structure of surrounding teeth in order to place your implants.
- Dental implants fill in gaps to prevent your other teeth from becoming misaligned.
- Dental implants do not require any special attention. Continue to brush and floss your teeth as directed by a dentist and your mouth should remain clean and healthy.
- Dental implants are comfortable. Removable dentures may not fit properly or they can slip and click out of place, causing irritation to the gum line. Dental implants stay in place and feel just like your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are a permanent treatment. Because implants are surgically placed, they can be expected to remain for life. The artificial teeth that are attached to implants are also strong enough to withstand all the regular wear and tear they will be exposed to.
Schedule a Consultation
If you have experienced tooth loss and would like to know if dental implants are an option for you, schedule a consultation with Dr. Alex Hecht today. Dr. Hecht can fill in the gaps left by missing teeth to maintain the structure of your mouth and restore the beauty of your smile.